segunda-feira, 20 de outubro de 2014

Childhood memories with "João e Maria" in English

Today, I´ll post the English version I made for the song "João e Maria". The harmony was composed before the lyrics, by Sivuca, in 1947. Chico Buarque was asked to write lyrics to Sivuca´s melody in 1977. At that time, Chico was writing children´s themes. He says that, given he was a kid in 1947 and because of the children´s themes he used to write back then, he recalled of his young days. In October 12th, at least in Brazil, Children´s Day is celebrated. Hope this song brings back sweet memories to everyone. 
João e Maria
Chico Buarque e Sivuca

Agora eu era o herói
E o meu cavalo só falava inglês
A noiva do cowboy
Era você além das outras três.

Eu enfrentava os batalhões
Os alemães e seus canhões
Guardava o meu bodoque
E ensaiava um rock para as matinês.

Agora eu era o rei
Era o bedel e era também juiz
E pela minha lei
A gente era obrigado a ser feliz.

E você era a princesa
Que eu fiz coroar
E era tão linda de se admirar
Que andava nua pelo meu país.

Não, não fuja não
Finja que agora eu era o seu brinquedo
Eu era o seu pião
O seu bicho preferido.

Vem, me dê a mão
A gente agora já não tinha medo
No tempo da maldade
Acho que a gente nem tinha nascido.

Agora era fatal
Que o faz-de-conta terminasse assim
Pra lá deste quintal
Era uma noite que não tem mais fim.

Pois você sumiu no mundo
Sem me avisar
E agora eu era um louco a perguntar
O que é que a vida vai fazer de mim.


Hansel and Gretl
English lyrics by Rita Cammarota

I´m the hero now
And my horse is always by my side
You´re my favorite gal
But the other ones don´t seem to mind

I fight away the enemies
Well, I´m a soldier, don´t you see?
Now my gun has turned
Into a mean guitar, I am the king of beat

Now, I´m the bravest knight
I´m a beadle, and a joyful king
The law that I made up
Enforces happiness as well as dreams

Oh, my dear, you are the princess
That became my Queen,
You look so pretty as you dress in pink
You´re like a flower blossom in the spring

Please, don´t run away
I can change into your favorite toy
I´m the prince you love
A teddy bear you once adored

Come, give me your hand
Fear is nothing but a really bad word
When the witches come
It´s the time we´ll be grown ups

Final chapter now
Happy endings aren´t quite as true
Outside the backyard
The sky turned black, it´s no longer blue

 Because you, my dearest love
Is now out of sight
Now I´m a madman and I don´t know why
You left without kissing me goodbye

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário

Licença Creative Commons
Este obra de Rita Cammarota, foi licenciado sob uma Licença Creative Commons Atribuição-Uso não-comercial-Vedada a criação de obras derivadas 3.0 Unported.